November 18, 2020
Dear Supporter of the Arts,
Greetings from the Indiana Arts Council! This has been a crazy year for everyone, and we hope that you are well. Covid took a bite out of our Spring programming this past year for sure, but we were able to do the following things to support the arts in Indiana before that happened:
- Community Caroling on December 20, 2019 – partnership with Downtown Indiana.
- Youth Theatre Workshops for students grades 3-5 and grades 6-8. 20 students from around the county involved.
- Outdoor “Movies in Memorial Park” in August – Mark Arbuckle Nissan sponsored Coco; Harriet was sponsored by Indiana County NAACP, Center for Community Growth, and the Blairsville Underground Railroad Museum. We also showed the classic film, Our Town.
- “The Artful Chair” fundraiser, spearheaded by Cathy Patterson, just concluded and raised more than $5,000.00 which will be split between the ICCAP’s community food bank and the IAC. This project invited professional and amateur artists across the county to paint or otherwise decorate a chair in an artful way. Almost 100 chairs were presented for auction and display in the Indiana Mall during the second week of October.
Here are a few things that we have planned for this year:
- Youth Writing Contest – Creative writing contest for 9th and 10th grade Indiana County students from throughout Indiana County.
- Holiday Music Online Singalong at the IRMC Park
- Recycled Art Auction will be an online auction of art items donated from our community members. Let us know if you have paintings, sculptures, instruments, etc. which you would like to donate for this event.
- Youth Music Video Contest for student musicians to record and present live performances.
- Virtual Juried Art Show of local student work.
We are hopeful that the Delaney Chevrolet Westsylvania Jazz and Blues Festival will return, but of course this is contingent upon safety related to the pandemic. To learn more about what we’re planning, please attend our annual meeting via Zoom on Wednesday, December 9, at 7:00 p.m. *
The Indiana Arts Council is entirely staffed by volunteers, and your membership or additional donation goes to the operations of the group and to programming. We are a recognized 501c(3) organization, and we need your support. Thanks for all you do to lift up the Arts in Indiana County.
Dr. David A. Ferguson, President IAC
*Please join us for our annual meeting being held online via Zoom at 7pm, Wednesday, December 9. If you’ve never Zoomed before and need to sign up, do it for free at: https://zoom.us/signup. Once you’ve sign up, you can join from your PC, Mac, iOS or Android by going to: https://iupvideo.zoom.us/j/92029673832. You can also use your phone by dialing +1 301 715 8592 (US Toll) or
+1 312 626 6799 (US Toll). The Meeting ID is: 920 2967 3832.