Greetings from the Indiana Arts Council! This has been a crazy year for everyone, and we hope that you are well. Covid took a bite out of our Spring programming this past year for sure, but we were able to do the following things to support the arts in Indiana before that happened:
- Community Caroling on December 20, 2019 – partnership with Downtown Indiana.
- Youth Theatre Workshops in for students grades 3-5 and grades 6-8. 20 students from around the county involved.
- Outdoor Movies in Memorial Park in August – Mark Arbuckle Nissan sponsored Coco; Harriet was sponsored by Indiana County NAACP, Center for Community Growth, and the Blairsville Underground Railroad Museum. We also showed the classic film, Our Town.
The Artful Chair fundraiser, spearheaded by Cathy Patterson, raised more than $5,000.00 which was split between the ICCAP’s community food bank and the IAC. This project invited professional and amateur artists across the county to paint or otherwise decorate a chair in an artful way. Almost 100 chairs were presented for auction and display in the Indiana Mall during the second week of October.
Here are a few things that we have planned for this year:
- Youth Writing Contest – 26 entries have been submitted from 9th and 10th grade students from throughout Indiana County.
- Recycled Art Auction will be an online auction of art items donated from our community members. Let the coordinator know if you have paintings, sculptures, instruments, etc. which you would like to donate for this event by emailing at email@example.com.
- Youth Music Video Contest for student musicians to record and present live performances.
- Virtual Juried Art Show of local student work.
We are hopeful that the Youth Arts Celebration (April 27-May 9) and the Delaney Chevrolet Westsylvania Jazz and Blues Festival (Saturday, May 29) will return, but of course this is contingent upon safety related to the pandemic.
The Indiana Arts Council is entirely staffed by volunteers, and your membership or additional donation goes to the operations of the group and to programming. We are a recognized 501c(3) organization, and we need your support.
Thanks for all you do to lift up the Arts in Indiana County.
PRESIDENT: David Ferguson
VICE-PRESIDENT: Ellen Werner
TREASURER: Catherine Planisky
SECRETARY: Adam Bukosky
PO Box 563
637 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 1701